Summer News Edition
Welcome to The Hesperian! Here you will find all kinds of reviews on some cool show, as well as regular news updates relating to the world of Anime!! Whatever it is your looking for, let The Hesperian be your guide to the best in Anime!
Also, go to the page ‘Anime Reviews’ to see the collection, or follow along and never miss an update!
SITE UPDATE: To Check out the Full Pictures, go to ‘Anime Reviews’ tab up top and click on the appropriate Anime review. You will find the pictures to the left as you scroll down.
NEW REVIEW: Darker Than Black
Thursday 21st, August 2014:
- If you thought shows couldn’t be anymore silly these days, checkout AnimeNewsNetwork‘s report on CyberAgent’s adaptation of a dating game into a show with 15 more voice actresses!!! The game itself is impressive, boasting of over 100 different voiced girls you can date with some honorable names voice them… How this exactly translates into show, I have no idea. But be sure to keep it on your silly list.
- CrunchyRoll recently reported that the fall show Denkigai no Honya-san got a new visual for its poster. It adds a few more characters to the scene, and I linked the page here.
- In other news not related to Anime, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia recently announced their CEO Hiroshi Kawano will retire from the position the first of September. Apparently, as ANN tells us, the company has lost a LOT of revenue, some $1.27 Billion dollars last fiscal year. It is a tragic thing about how the global market is suffering from the effects of social engineering, and the 1500 jobs that will be phased out by March 2015 is not good news for the company or Japan overall.
- The Asashi Shimbun, albeit an old report, reminds us about upcoming show Garo coming out soon. A new visual last month along with a trailer was posted at a convention, although there is nothing more to add to the details of the show.
- Hunter x Hunter is going on another Haitus, thanks to the back problems of the artist Yoshihiro Togashi. It is an unfortunate reality that life is pain, and hopefully the 2-week delay will be help in the long term for the series.
- Lastly, since we all love Cats, Pizza Hut Japan is launching a series of adds featuring the felines and their pizza. It definitely looks silly and the delivery job many of the cats perform are silly. ANN reported it, and Pizza Hut hopes to capture more fans and customer’s through its silly advertising recognition.
Saturday 9th, August 2014:
- Publishersweekly.com has a great article highlighting the newly formed M.A.G., or Manga-Anime Guardians initiative. The latest push to curb the “scanlations” and illegal reproduction of licensed content online, this M.A.G. is different in the scope of companies banding with the Japanese government agencies against illegal proliferation of intellectual property. As Publishersweekly tells us, the aim of the project is to educate the fans of these industries to turn to legal means to get their fix and will have an extensive list to make a one-stop source for finding those companies who make up the majority of the Anime/Manga industry. In case you didn’t know, a huge $20 Billion dollars are lost every year to this problem (basically 50% of their audience) in an industry that is already hard to exist in. Check out the M.A.G. website today!
- According to FandomPost, Hulu has added another Anime series to their list: Argevollen. The Atsushi Ootsuki with scripts by Tatsuo Sato, who is known for his Bodacious Space Pirates.
- Rocketnews24 has a rather funny program called Niconico Douga, which uses a cute anime girl to wake up the user should they get sleepy on the computer. Yes, using a PC and the Tobii EyeX Controller, you can have someone to help you stay awake in those long working hours. Of course, there are a few kinks in the system, but hey, its progress. You should check it out!
- Working with the Suruga Devil storyline, a new show “Hanamonogatari is gearing up for its broadcast marathon run and ahead of that, the official site has let loose with a new two and a half minute promo.” According to the source FandomPost, the series will be set after the main character Koyomi Araragi graduates from high school, and should be a winner.
Friday 1st, August 2014:
- According to FandomPost, ‘The Last’ Naruto featured film is coming out soon enough, and received a teaser trailer you can watch on the source site. While, its not the end of the series and just another film, chances are it’s worth a watch.
- Kotaku reported recently an interesting development for the series ‘Psycho-Pass‘ comes with the 4th episode not being scheduled to air. Apparently, the episode has a grisly murder scene that has unfortunately been similar to a real life atrocity where the victim was slain in the same way… So to protect themselves and the industry at large, the episode will only be available on the internet.
Tuesday 15th, July 2014:
- On a gloriously unrelated news: D.Grayman, the series by Miss Katsura Hoshino (for now at least), will finally get another Graphic Novel on the shelves this August! Hoshino had been battling a very serious illness and had to delay the series for several years. Lord willing Miss Hoshino will remain healthy enough to finish the series and perhaps in doing so may resurrect the Anime series, which was forced to shut down from the author’s illness.
- The Effects of the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance in Japan, which was altered this year, have bitten their fangs recently as the manga was pulled due to a concern’s it might prove harmful according to the ordinance. on another probable trash manga. This time, Manga artist Arisa Yamamoto‘s Honestly, the front cover even highlights what appears to be a very young child, so one could hardly miss the stupidity of the series and its author’s apparent problem.
- Japanese Soccer Star Atsuto Uchida will lend his voice for the new Pokemon the Movie XY: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction. According to Asashi Shimbun, the athlete is very excited over getting to voice act a childhood favorite game and is a little nervous as well.
- Yu Moroboshi’s fantasy action light novel series Kusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan (The Instructor of Aerial Combat Wizard Candidates) is getting its own Anime show. The manga is on its 4th volume and is set in aerial cities where humanity defends against evil creatures called Makouchu. Check out the news feed at CrunchyRoll.
Sunday 6th, July 2014:
- Sentai Filmworks recently announced July 5th they acquired the anime series ‘I Couldn’t Become a Hero so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job’, as well as 7 other series. The series is naturally a funny comedy about a man named Raul Chaser who was going to fight the Demon King, except the war ended up unexpectedly. The series hilariously showcases his newest coworker at the local shop where Raul works as none other than the daughter of the Demon King. According to the Examiner, a home video release is expected to follow suit.
- IN other news related to Sentai Filmworks, the ‘Tari Tari’ series is finally going to see a Blu-Ray release! As the Fandompost correctly states, the reason for the delay in the Blu-Ray release was largely due to the concerns of the Japanese marketplace, and it seems now is the time for letting the American market place have the high quality release.
- You should definitely check out CrunchyRoll‘s Anime Expo announcement of their streaming more series, including “Akame ga Kill!”, “Blue Spring Ride”, “DRAMAtical Murder”.
- According to AnimeNewsNetwork, Funimation recently announced their additions of Barakamon, Sengoku Basara Judge End, and Black Butler: Book of Circus. Black Butler has its own original release, so the sequel being added to Funimation’s roster was expected.
Saturday 28th, June 2014:
- Mysterious Joker, Hideyasu Takahashi’s story of phantom thief who can steal anything in the world, is going to get its own Anime show. According to AnimeNewsNetwork, the show will premiere in October on Tokyo MX TV andKIDS STATION
- For those getting excited over upcoming Sword Art Online II, Fandom reported that there is a new promo video out! The show premiers on July 5th and Aniplex USA will be the NA distributor.
- io9 reported that Netflix is getting into the Anime industry by licensing the Anime series Knights of Sidonia! The 12 episodes that just finished airing in Japan will begin on Netflix on July 4th. This does mean Netflix will be the only legal way of watching the show, so you will need a Netflix account to access the series, although it only costs $8 a month for as long as you wish.
- The Fandom Post also reported that Funimation will be simulcasting the series Tokyo Ghoul, a series that takes a slight nod to Bleach in which the main character becomes half ghoul and must readjust to his life as well as learn more about the Ghouls that he lived so ignorantly of. Funimation actually is going all in, according to FP, and also announced video rights at the same time, though that release is quite a ways down the line.
Sunday 22th, June 2014:
- Fandompost.com reported that Animate.tv has revealed a few pictures for Akame ga KILL!, a manga about a man who is taken in by a family of assassins, who may or not be good guys but are recruiting. The manga will be made into its own Anime show and will premier July 6th.
- Another report from Fandompost says that Tokyo ESP will find its debut on July 11th. The creator Segawa, has also created a previously licensed series in North America named Ga Rei Zero.
- Lastly, “Ninja Slayer” ,a graphic novel created by Bradley Bond and Philip Morzez, is finally getting its own Anime show! According to the Examiner.com, the show will be premiered at the Anime Expo on July 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm PST.
Wednesday 18th, June 2014:
- AnimeNewsNetwork reported today at 10am that with the new Sailer Moon Crystal series coming out soon, MegaHouse has announced Petit figures for the series as well as a plush Sailor Moon! You can pre-order it directly here as well (In Japanese language)
- For those who are fans of the series, also announced today was that Funimation licenses the film Bayonetta: Bloody Fate for Canada and the United States. A sneak peak, according to ANN, will be given at the Anime Expo happening July 3rd.
- Viz Media will be at this coming Anime Expo, and will feature world premieres, giveaways among many more things. There’s even a Sailor moon day, according to ANN, along with special guests and other manga announcements. If you can make it, definitely go to the Anime Expo located in Los Angeles! For registration and getting your badges to the awesome Anime Expo, go here.
- For those who have memories of Flame of Recca and Ceres, Celestial Legend, it was announced yesterday on Discotek Media’s Facebook page that they have purchased the licenses to the series. Just below the initial Ceres, Celestial Legend post, there was also a posted question asking about hypothetical Blu-Ray editions to the series! Although keep in mind this latest point isn’t set in stone.
Saturday 14th, June 2014:
- According to the much acclaimed AnimeNewsNetwork.com: the much acclaimed Vagabond Manga will return in July finally! Vagabond has been a running series since before 2000, where it won the Kodansha award in general category, as well as a few more awards since then. The Series was also put on a short delay for both health and work reasons which happened to coincide near each other.
- For those who are huge anime fans of subs, CrunchyRoll has expanded their influence when they announced Thursday they acquired the video discover app Redux. The main purpose is to be available in as many devices as possible, and since Redux is already integrated into PS3s and many other forms, including Smart TVs, the fish move may help achieve that goal. According to TechCrunch.com, the found of the company has already created a spinoff that he is running, and will not be with the team when CrunchyRoll assumes control.
- The Manga Sabagebu! (Also referred in English as Survival Game Club!) is getting its own show, and recently the OP song was announced to be from a popular singer Ayaka Ohashi, a 19 year-old rising star from Japan. CrunchyRoll.com announced also that the TV version of the manga will get a premiere July 6 on TOKYO MX and a few other stations across Japan. You can watch the part of the intro song here.
- And lastly this week, E3 came out this week, and one of the presentations is another game for the series Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-. The fighting genre is slated for the PS3 and PS4, and features a remix of many of your favorite fighting anime figures. Should be a fun one! GameSpot.com has a decent report on the series.